Saturday, October 9, 2010

From here to infinity.

It was September 23, 2010 when I made my first (and probably, only) lifetime commitment--I had my first tattoo.





I've been desperately meaning to get inked since I can remember, but I was hesitant to finally take the leap because of a number of reasons. One, I've been trying my best to change and be a good daughter to my parents, and having a tattoo would ruin my relationship with them. My dad hates the idea of it, so as my mom. They're kinda conservative, so. Anyway, another reason is that before September, I hadn't decided yet on the design of my first tattoo. I initially wanted to do a Leona Lewis, with the lyrics of "Screaming Infidelities" written on my back. Fortunately, I realized it was such a bad idea before it was too late. (Duh, emo?) Lastly, I didn't know at first if I would be able to commit myself to a lifelong relationship with something I'd probably regret sooner or later.

But then one day that September, I found this cute design on the net and fell in love with it. It was a Tamil language version of the number 8. 8 has forever been my number because of obvious reasons (my birthday, 08-08). A friend said that it's also very lucky in Chinese too. Not that I believe in luck, but if there's a thing/symbol that I want to be forever written on my skin, it would be the number 8.

I'm sure most of you would ask, "Did it hurt?" No, it didn't. Not even a bit. I don't know if I was just really relaxed at the time, or that I was expecting more--a great deal of pain, that's why I didn't feel anything when it was being done. But what I can tell you is this: I felt strong after. It was a pretty liberating experience.

So from here to infinity, people would be asking me what the hell is written on my back. I'd tell them, "That's not H," or "That's not ai," and "Definitely not a1/21." I'd stop explaining there, and let them figure it out for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment